2.07.2009

Nostalgia Saturday

Featuring - All Red Candy for February!

Growing up, I absolutely LOVED Atomic Fireballs. I remember at one point eating so many that my tongue was raw. I also got to the point where they weren't hot anymore. Your tongue would get really red and if your teeth weren't completely clean - they'd be pink!

This February - I'll be reminiscing my favorite candy with you - with one condition, it has to be red!

From Wikipedia:

Atomic Fireballs are a round, cinnamon-flavored hard candy invented by Nello Ferrara in 1954. They are a form of jawbreaker. The outer layers of the candy are a bright red color while the interior layers are white.

When initially introduced by Ferrara Pan, the company had a manufacturing capacity of 200 cases per day but demand quickly rose to 50,000 cases per day. According to the company, approximately 15 million Fireballs are eaten weekly.[1] "The spicy flavor and the exceptionally long lasting candy was instantly popular (coupled with the popular culture obsession with all things atomic at the time).[2] The outside layer of the Fireball is quite mild. After a moment in the mouth, the smooth ball of hard candy releases a spicy cinnamon flavor.

They are made with the hot panned process with ingredients of a single grain of sugar, syrup and flavor. The hot pans tumble the ingredients around until the fireballs snowball into the appropriate size. The process lasts for about two weeks. By the end of the process the fireball consists of at least one hundred layers. The fireballs come in two sizes, a pea size and the more popular full-size (7/8ths of an inch in diameter) which comes individually wrapped.

Also recently available are chewy fireballs, with the same flavor of the original with a chewy texture.

4 comments:

Mishkat February 7, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

I used to love Atomic Fireballs too (in fact, I still like them but try and stay away from them...) 15 million Fireballs a week is a LOT :)

Anonymous,  February 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

those were one of the candies I grew up with. my grandmother was a really big fan of them and always had a few in her purse. We'd get a bag of them to share at the movie theater or for waiting at the doctors office. I used to pride myself in being able to bite them in half 0.o

Anonymous,  February 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM  

Hmmmm, I don't think I've ever had one of those. I was more the chocolate fiend though....my mom swore that my first word was 'chocolate'.

M Dawson February 8, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

Don't know these at ALL!!!

Oh re the cicadas - Yes, definitely - unbelievably loud!

Followers

©Endless Whimsy™

All photos, videos and content of this blog are protected by copyright laws. All Rights Reserved.
OurBlogTemplates