10.10.2008

First Terra Cotta Sculpture

I brought some clay home to try my polymer pulling technique on it. I used a wet-hand pulling technique to get the clay into shape. It took much longer and was a lot harder than I expected. You have to work more slowly with this clay than the polymer. It you go too fast, it begins to tear. It's also a lot messier. But I have to say, it's very satisfying. I'm thinking the more I work with clay, the better I'll get with my sculptures overall. Perhaps not, but it will be fun to try.

2 comments:

Mishkat October 12, 2008 at 12:35 AM  

I really like it! I have never used polymer clay - only "clay" clay. I wasn't aware that they were so different to work with.

Anonymous,  October 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

Hi

I smiled when I read your post about the first time you used (I presume ceramic) clay.

Not many people know this, so keep it quiet. Shhh. The first time I used ceramic clay (I had only used plastiline and polymer up to that point) it was for Coalport (English bone china manufacturer) I had told them, I was an expert in ceramic clay because Royal Worcester had turned me down due to lack of experience.

I had a nightmare figuring out how to work with it. However, the sculpt was accepted and I have been busy ever since (that was 1996). My littel secret is still unknown to my colleagues in the industry. I prefer ceramic clay now.

Followers

©Endless Whimsy™

All photos, videos and content of this blog are protected by copyright laws. All Rights Reserved.
OurBlogTemplates