4.24.2009

Why!!!! (Rant on selling houses)

Ok, I'm going to blog about the dilemma my parents are in. Parents, if you are reading this - read at your own risk because you may not listen to my voice, but the internet will listen!

My parents are looking to purchase a house in my area, example they live 5 hours away, they want to live within an hour of me. GREAT! I can hardly wait. There are a couple of one floor condos within their price range if they play their cards right - actually in the same complex as my in-laws which they just love.

Well, my husband is a realist and he said (to me) that they need to get a market analysis and put the house on the market ASAP because people buy in the spring and we don't want to have to wait until NEXT spring for a purchase. I explained this to my mother, and she stated that she'll try talking to dad again - but he wants to wait a bit to make the house look better before we have anyone come over and look at it.

Number 1: No one cares about your 'minor' improvements if they are done or not. We're talking some molding and railings. It's an OLD farm house that they've updated, kept up and is on 5 acres of land with a pond. It has a three car garage/barn and a HUGE bonus room above the garages that could easily be sublet. It also has a HUGE woodworking shop. It's got 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, an incredible porch. It's great. It's not too updated - I'm thinking the Amish may really like this house (we have a growing Amish population)

Number 2: If you keep waiting, you'll never put it on the market because, let's face it - it's NOT going to get done. You have a laundry list a mile long of nit-picky things.

Number 3: The longer you wait, the older you get. PERIOD

Number 4: You do not live in a really populated area and you need to take advantage of the market and not HOPE it's going to work out. Things sell fairly quickly if priced right in Southern Maine. Northern Maine, I'm assuming it's going to take a while.

Number 5: Everything is contingent upon your house selling, you can't move unless it sells, you can't sell if it's not on the market. If it's not on the market, you're staying put.

Now, I know in your eyes I'm still your naive little girl. But let's all wake up and taste reality. You haven't bought or sold a house in over 30 years, things are different now. I've purchased a house recently in the area you are looking and we are ready and willing to help but you've gotta kick yourselves in the pants and get started. Sure it's going to be emotional, but hey - it's not emotional until it's actually sold and we move you out. So let's get going, and get to the emotional part when it actually arrives.

(off soapbox)

4 comments:

Mishkat April 24, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

Their house sounds really great, actually! But I definitely agree that this is the time to sell - people buy in the spring and summer.

renovia April 24, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

THANK YOU! Update: my mom called a person for a market analysis - she just needs to call one more for comparison.

Sarah April 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

That's great - I agree that nows the time to sell!

Jade April 25, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

Absolutely right. :) We're in the process of buying a house that was put on the market last August. They had to drop the asking price down 20k before anyone offered on it.

Followers

©Endless Whimsy™

All photos, videos and content of this blog are protected by copyright laws. All Rights Reserved.
OurBlogTemplates