3.20.2009

Making a stamp out of scrap clay TUTORIAL

On the same idea as Mitsy at ArtMind's stamp tutorial: I have a tutorial for making a stamp out of scrap clay!

1. Roll your scraps into a ball, be sure to wedge it and keep it moist.


2. Flatten out your stamp so the sides are level.


3. Take your drawing and set it on top of the stamp. Trace over your lines with a sharp needle tool through the paper.


4. Here is the stamp with my picture traced into it.


5. Using your lines as guides, make the 'inside' and 'outside' of the lines so they are thick like the drawing.


6. Spend some nice relaxing time listening to music and carving the inside and outside of your stamp. Smooth it out as you go. Try to not breathe in any dust - keep your room well ventilated.


7. Here's my trial run of wet porcelain stamping! Not bad! I will let it dry then bisque fire it. I had to carefully push up one of my kitties legs so it was level, so double check before it dries that the stamping face is actually level.

9 comments:

Mishkat March 21, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

I would have never thought about making a stamp out of clay - but I do carve linoleum blocks, which is a similar process. I like the image you created a lot.

Mitsy / ArtMind March 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Wow, that's very neat! Love the image too! :)

Anonymous,  March 22, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

What an awesome tutorial!! You are so brilliant!! I want one! lol

Please pick up your award at: http://sweetirieoriginals.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-award.html

xoxo

Artsy Catsy March 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

I discovered your kitties on Twitter and came to check out your blog & Etsy site - love 'em!

Sharolyn

BeadedTail March 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

What a great imagination you have - I would have never thought of something like that! And of course your kitty stamp is so cute!

Mishkat March 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

P.S. I vote "no" on the boogie mat for Luxor - he would consume the tassels in no time. Plus the zippers are not good quality - they really need to use metal ones to make them Franklin-proof (Luxor might be able to eat the zipper too...). There are people on Etsy that make similar ones without tassels - that's probably a better way to go.

Lynn Kellan August 18, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

This is great! Much better than using a potato for a stamp!!

Valeria August 18, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

Very nice idea...i would try!!!

Anonymous,  June 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM  

Great idea!

Followers

©Endless Whimsy™

All photos, videos and content of this blog are protected by copyright laws. All Rights Reserved.
OurBlogTemplates